April ’18 book haul
You know, I genuinely thought that this month would be better than others, but I totally forgot about half of the books I ordered online (mostly preorders) and then I had two in person splurges… One day this will slow down… I mean, it has to, right?!
Anyway, we are splitting this into three sections because I (once again) bought too many books.
April book boxes
OK, so I got my normal quota of book subscription boxes this month. Yay! (PS: if anyone knows anyone who wants the ‘other stuff’ apart from the books, hit me up because I have so much book merch I don’t actually know what to do with it!)
- OwlCrate’s March box theme was Shadows and Secrets, and contained Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody with an exclusive cover (shown below).
- The YA Chronicles’ theme was A Little Bit Wicked, and despite my intense wish that it contained an ARC of The Wicked King by Holly Black, I was mildly disappointed it was not there. The box instead also contained Ace of Shades by Amanda Foody.
- Fanciful Box’s theme was Fit For a Crown, and contained Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian.
- My March LitJoy box arrived a little bit late (like April 6); however, it was great, so zero complaints! The theme was Poor Unfortunate Souls (why, yes, I do believe that is a Disney song reference) and the book included was To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo.
And finally, FairyLoot’s theme was Whimsical Journeys, and I was emailed that it would be sent out late (like at the end of this month), so I guess we’ll see what it contains next month!
April book mail
Soooo… some of these were pre-orders… some of them speak to my inability to cut back online shopping because I don’t get that instant gratification when I purchase books online (look, whatever excuse will do at this point!). Some of them I genuinely forgot that I ordered.
- Marked for the Hunt by Leah Chiasson (gift from the author)
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee (bought online because this STILL hasn’t been released in Australia!)
- Simon vs. the Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli (yes, I already had this, but I wanted it in hardcover to match the other two…)
- Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli
- Tithe by Holly Black
- Shadowsong by S. Jae Jones
- Warcross by Marie Lu
- Murder at the Mill by M. B. Shaw (aka Tilly Bagshawe)
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle (B&N leatherbound)
- The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss (B&N leatherbound)
- A Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne (B&N leatherbound)
- Fence (Issue #5) by C. S. Pacat
I don’t think I bought much online this month, so I should receive less books next month!! Oh, except for the preorders! I will have TWO copies of ACOFAS arriving (but seriously, who won’t?). Also, I think I’m still waiting on like 2 more B&N leatherbounds to arrive, but I didn’t BUY any this month, so April should be less.
This is why my TBR is never going to get smaller than my read pile. But in my defence, I actually read four of these this month and one I had already read, plus the B&N’s will eventually get read.
April book purchases (in person)
I was pretty happy with this. It started off as far less than some months (*ahem, March*), but then I went to home to Canberra and did some retail therapy, etc… and now it’s probably just as bad as other months!
- The Heart Forger by Rin Chupeco
- When We Collided by Emery Lord
- The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth
- The Management Style of the Supreme Beings by Tom Holt
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- King of Ashes by Raymond E Feist
- The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton
All in all, not a terrible spending month! I mean, it’s been worse… Also, I will be buying at least one book in person in May because I’m going to a book launch (again?! yes, I have nothing better to do with my time) for Jay Kristoff’s LIFEL1K3 which comes out in May.