August '19 wrap up and Sequel September
Good morning bookworms! It’s time for the August wrap-up!
So, I read 7 books in August, which was not too bad. I did get through five ARCs, so ARC August wasn’t a complete loss!! BUT, the biggest challenge of the month came when I realised that Darkdawn was being released early in Australia, so I did drop everything to reread the first two books…
|Bloodlines||Richelle Mead||Bloodlines #1||Paperback||
|The Bride Test (ARC)||Helen Hoang||The Kiss Quotient #2||Paperback||
|She’s Got Game (ARC)||Laura Heffernan||Gamer Girls #1||eBook||
|The Gamer’s Guide to Getting the Girl (ARC)||Kristine Scarrow||eBook||
|Mooncakes (ARC)||Suzanne Walker, Wendy Xu||eGraphic Novel||
|Crown of Coral and Pearl (ARC)||Mara Rutherford||Crown of Coral and Pearl #1||Paperback||
|Nevernight (reread)||Jay Kristoff||The Nevernight Chronicle #1||Paperback||
Top read for the month goes to The Bride Test by Helen Hoang. This book made me cry SO MUCH.
So… you know how I said I wouldn’t do TBRs any more? Welllllll…. I am kind of going to do some challenges for the rest of the year, so it looks like TBRs are back in?! (OMG HALP ME). The September challenges are Sequel September (hosted by Kathy @ Books and Munches) and the Of Wonderland book club prompt is ‘Duologies and Trilogies’, which kind of works in well anyway!
Also, BUDDY READS! I’m doing THREE buddy reads this month. Because I am crazy. Also, I still need to finish GG so I can read DD!!
Key: ? physical book | ? ebook | ? audiobook | ? webcomic | ? ARC
?♀️ buddy read | ✳️ reread | ? Sequel September | ? Of Wonderland
- Godsgrave – Jay Kristoff ? ✳️ ? ?
- Darkdawn – Jay Kristoff ? ? ?
- Shadow Frost – Coco Ma ? ?♀️
- Vicious – V. E. Schwab ? ?♀️ ?
- Red Glove – Holly Black ? ?♀️ ? ?
- Against the Rules – Laura Heffernan ? ? ? ?
- Midnight Beauties – Megan Shepherd ? ? ?
- Heartstopper Vol 2 – Alice Oseman ? ? ?
- Siege and Storm – Leigh Bardugo ? ? ?
- Going Off Script – Jen Wilde ?
I FINALLY wrote my Overwatch characters recommendations post (#1). Just in case you aren’t aware, I am low-key obsessed with this game, and I’m not even very good at it. But the characters and their backstories are amazing, and even if you don’t care about the game, please go watch the short I linked in my story because it’s amazing and you might cry. (I’m not selling this right, but the short is AMAZING.)
There were some pretty good Top 5’s this month too. Dystopian seemed to get a lot of discussions, but my fave one was the non-cats, because I get to talk about animal companions ?
We also did top 5 books I don’t talk about enough. My post was fine… but Joe @ Storeys of Stories’ post was AH-MAZING!! Five seriously amazing (and very underhyped book here!
There were some pretty amazing posts out there this month!! These are some of my faves that I saw:
- Isabelle @ Bookwyrm Bites talked about diversity and good representation in books, and I just… wish I was this eloquent?!
- Malanie @ Malanie Loves Fiction made a list of her favourite books that made her cry and I. Am. Here. For. This!! Sad books are the greatest, and I think I need to write my own list so then I can share in the blubbering. ?
- Siobhan @ Siobhan’s Novelties talked about content warnings, and why publishers should advocate for them!
- CW @ The Quiet Pond made the most amazing list of recommendations based on Ghibli films!! And it’s amazing!! *squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!*
- Kal @ Reader Voracious posted the second post in her “moving from wordpress to self-hosted” series, and it’s so ridiculously helpful. Kal highlights the good, the bad and the uber helpful, and tbh, this series is making me think about moving myself!!
- Nyx @ Drizzle and Hurricane books basically took a little piece of my soul and put it on her blog. What’s that, you ask? Why I’m not really on board with audiobooks. (Although I totally respect everyone else’s views, I just know they aren’t really for me!)
- Isabelle @ Bookwyrm Bites wrote a post about whether comp titles are useful, or unnecessary! And I just found this really fascinating, because I’ve never really thought about it before…
- I don’t actually follow this blog, but found a link on Twitter… Lit Hub made a quiz where they list classic books by their Library of Congress subject categories and it is AMAZING!! I got about 30 right, and a lot of the others I hadn’t heard of, but the ones I had heard of and hadn’t read… well, I was very surprised by some of their categories! There’s about 70 books in total in the quiz!
Ooof. August was a rough month for me. I traveled for work (again) and ended up with tonsilitis, a chest infection, and a cold – seriously, not having an immune system can be the worst! I can’t wait for winter to be over (although it has been pretty mild, and I should stop complaining because the spring buds are already out).
My mum also had knee surgery so I’ve been spending a bit of time at the hospital visiting her – she’s essentially a captive audience right now because she can’t get away from me ? But this also means that I will be helping out to look after my nephew next month because mum was doing this on Thursdays while my brother and his wife work (and I am very lucky that my work is flexible so I can just take my laptop and work from wherever I need to be).
Apart from all this, we are just picking paint colours, and I finally repotted all my succulents, so the house stuff is moving along!!
omg I didn’t know sequel September was a thing! I think I’ll do that now tbh haha great reading month!
You too Tracy!! And yes!! Come join us with Sequel September!! ?
I also love the idea of September Sequel, I should participate as well and perhaps clean up some of my sequels. Your monthly wrap up always give me post-envy – they are amazing!
Nawww, thank you!! (I always feel like they’re a mess!! ?)
And yes!! Come join us with Sequel September!! It’s time to tackle all those leftover series!! ?
I look forward to reading The bride Test and Heartstopper! Both have been on my radar for a while now.
I really loved The Bride Test. A little bit more than I loved The Kiss Quotient. It just really struck a chord with me. I hope you enjoy them both!!
Sequel september sounds good! Maybe I should lowkey participate as well!
I highly recommend (and would love to share this with you!) ?
I’ve just finished Heartstopper vol. 2 and I loved it more than the first one! Also I’m about 100 pages into Godsgrave, I need to get my ass into gear with this book!
It’s totally worth it!! I loved it slightly more than Nevernight!! And I’m not that far in front of you. I think I’m about page 250!!
Great post, I’m sorry August wasn’t so great for you and I hope your mum’s doing okay ?
Mum is doing great, she’ll be running away from me in no time!! ?
I’m glad to hear that ?
Thank you so so much for sharing my post! ? Have a great September! ??
You are most welcome!! I hope you have a great September too!
Beware Of The Reader
OOOh August seems to have been difficult health wise! But I love your intake on this topic with your “captive audience” LOL Take care Meeghan!
? Thanks Sophie!! My mum gets out of hospital today, and she’ll be able to run faster than me soon enough!!
J.R. @ Eternity Books
You had a great month! I’m so happy that you read 7 books and made a dent in that super long TBR lol!! I hope you love Vicious! It’s a really good book. Also, I hope you feel much better ?? Getting sick all the time must be so annoying!
Good luck with September!!
Thanks JR!! Getting sick is kind of annoying, but I try and look after myself to lessen the impact… vegetables are not quite the evil that I thought when I was a child ? (but cookies are still better…)
Amazing reading month!
I am keen to read the Heartstopper series❤️
It’s really cute!! Well, the first one is… I’ll let you know about the second one after I read it!!
Ohh 5 arcs read out of 7books – that’s pretty neat!
also, ohh my, goodluck with that TBR, may you get to atleast a good portion of it. “Agaisnt the rules” is the one catching my eyes the most… let me go check it out.. ahah !
Oof I hope both you and your mom are feeling better now! Being sick or in pain is the absolute worst.. Yay for getting some house stuff done though ! ??
Against the rules is the follow up to one of the ARCs I read this month!! (The one by Laura Heffernan that I just can’t remember the name of…) It’s book 2 of the Gamer Girls trilogy!!
Oooh.. nvm then hahaha ? no I might still check them out later
It was a really cute read if that helps?! I think I gave it 4 stars?!
Ohhh gaming store and gamers?! Im in for that!
YES!!! That’s the one!!!
Yay for Mooncakes! I can’t wait for Red Glove!!! I only read like 2 books, but you know, that’s totally fine. Wasn’t like I was expecting to read 6 or something books in August, right?
Hope your mom gets better ?
We always read below our TBR!! That’s why I set mine for like 10 books!! ??
Hoping this month will be a good one ???
We’re reading Red Glove, so I’m sure it’ll be fine!!
I hope you’re health is better Meeghan! I didn’t know September Sequel was a thing! I should join it!! All the best with your tbr!
Yes, I’m feeling much better, thank you!! You should definitely come join Sequel September!! The more the merrier!! ?
This just made me super excited for The Bride Test!
It’s really sweet and I bawled my eyes out A LOT during it. ?
aaahhh thank you so much for sharing my post, gosh sad book recommendations are so desirable for me and I have no idea why??? on earth!!!???? I do this to myself!!! I even want to read “A Little Life” by Hanya Yanagihara, even though I already know, 100000% without a doubt, it’s going to personally DESTROY me. there are so many sad books on my tbr at this point because I’m still working up the courage to read them
also i’m sending you wholesome hugs of friendship, directly from my heart, while you’re not feeling well /dealing w family at the hospital <3 <3 c: c:
Uhh, your recommendations were AMAZING, so of course I included them!! Books that make me cry are *goals*!
Sending hugs back… just because!! ?