Christmas is a mere 21 days away (cue panic)! I make shortbread and gift it around to colleagues, friends and family as a) it’s super simple, and b) everyone seems to like it!
But alas, traditional shortbread is not vegan friendly, and I have vegan friends and colleagues. So, this is the recipe that I amended for them!
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 250g Nuttelex Buttery (this is the BEST butter substitute that I have ever used, especially for baking)
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 160°C (145°C fan forced). Grease two 22cm or 9″ round baking dishes and line with baking paper.
- Thoroughly sift flours and sit aside.
- Beat Nuttelex, caster sugar and vanilla until creamy.
- Stir through sifted flours until even, doughy consistency.
- Split dough into two portions and add to baking trays. Spread evenly to edges – a mini rolling pin is good here if you have one.
- Using a knife, score slices into the dough where you intend to cut (not all the way through). This will ensure that when you cut it later it won’t crumble into nothing.
- Prick decorations with a fork if you like. I put little ‘V’s on mine so I could distinguish between the vegan and the normal later on.
- Sprinkle with extra caster or white sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes in oven, or until golden.
- Let cool, and then chop fully.
- Amaze your vegan (and dairy free) friends with your spectacular baking.