I love to experiment with baking. I have this great chocolate cake recipe (that I will likely NEVER publish the recipe for because it’s my signature cake), but I also acknowledge that people have dietary requirements – I am a primary example of that.
So, I like to play around with recipes to make alternatives for others. This is my vegan chocolate cupcake recipe.
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk*
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line 18 cupcake tray holes (I have 12 cup trays – depending on how small your cupcakes are this could make 12-18 cupcakes).
- Add almond milk, vinegar, sugar, oil and vanilla to medium to large mixing bowl and beat until foamy.
- Add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt, and beat well until smooth, even consistency.
- Transfer spoonfuls to cupcake liners until all mixture is gone. You will only want to fill the cupcake liners to 3/4 full as vinegar and baking soda will create a rise in the mixture when cooked.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Ice with Vegan Buttercream Frosting.
* You can use soy, but I find that vanilla almond is nicer for sweet baking.