I did it! I got (technically) less than 10 books this month! It’s a record!
As usual, we are splitting this into three sections: book boxes, online purchases (book mail, and in-store book purchases.
May book boxes
OK, so I got my normal quota of book subscription boxes this month. Yay! (PS: if anyone knows anyone who wants the ‘other stuff’ apart from the books, hit me up because I have so much book merch I don’t actually know what to do with it!)
- OwlCrate’s May box theme was Fight Like a Girl, and contained Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young with an exclusive cover (shown below).
- The YA Chronicles’ May theme was Power of Words, and contained Whisper by Lynette Noni.
- I also pre-ordered The YA Chronicles’ ACOFAS themed box, and unbelievably, it contained A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas (hard cover edition).
- Fanciful Box’s theme was Character Obsessions, and contained The Smoke Thieves by Sally Green, and it has gorgeous purple sprayed edges.
- FairyLoot’s May theme was Save the Kingdom, and contained Onyx and Ivory by Mindee Arnett, and has the most amazing black sprayed edges. (This is absolutely my new favourite cover!)
- My April FairyLoot box arrived in May as well (as mentioned last month). The theme was Whimsical Journeys and the book included was Beyond A Darkened Shore by Jessica Leake.
Also, at the time of writing this, I am still waiting on LitJoy’s May book. LitJoy have actually started the GREATEST THING EVER: a merch-free book subscription box (kind of – they only have single purchases at the moment, so I guess it’s more of book-only option). To be honest, I love the book part of all these subscription boxes (exclusive covers, signed books, sprayed edges are my jam!), but I don’t really find the rest of the stuff all that useful. (With the exception being the Marie Lu curated LitJoy box for Batman: Nightwalker. I think I use everything in that box.) So, expect me to wax lyrical about this book-only order from now on.
May book mail
Amazingly, I received three books in May (plus one comic). THREE. I know. I can’t believe it either.
- Valiant by Holly Black
- Ironside by Holly Black
- A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas (yes, seperate from the above box because this is the paperback version)
- Fence issue #6 by C. S. Pacat (subscription)
May book purchases (in person)
As I said last month, I attended the LIFEL1K3 launch this month in Melbourne. And, I only bought one book. That’s right, just the book I went there for. It’s basically the most restraint I have ever had in my life.
- LIFEL1K3 by Jay Kristoff
Just on the side, I know you can’t tell with the above picture, but the Aussie cover of LIFEL1K3 is totally different from all the other country editions. Also, the part that looks grey in the picture, is actually like a mirror-foil, so it’s also SUPER SHINY! I love it.
Also, I know I said that I got “technically” less than 10 books this month. If you can apply basic mathematic principles, you should be able to actually count 11 entries. To get my amazing counting abilities, you only count ACOFAS once (despite me purchasing the paperback and hard cover editions) and the comic book not at all, and then you get nine. Which is less than ten! Also, this is equally the saddest and greatest book haul I have ever posted. Saddest because this is a far less number of books than I usually received, but great because I have zero shame for this haul.