So I’ve been meaning to start this for a while now, but you know, life happens and disrupts all your plans, but I feel like the new year is great time to get on top of these things, so January here we are!
This month was slightly insane in terms of a book haul for me, as I was away from the end of October until mid-January, ALL of my book boxes from Nov-Jan kind of end up in this pile, so I’m going to split this post into three parts:
- Nov-Dec book boxes and book mail
- Jan book boxes
- Jan book purchases (in person)
Starting from next week on, I plan on putting up unboxing posts, challenges, recommendations, book hauls and wrap ups and, of course, the regular reviews! So, let’s start with the mountain!
November-December book boxes and book mail
So, I got a lot of boxes in Nov-Dec. I don’t even think I was aware of quite how many boxes I subscribe to until I came home to a full mountain of boxes. A mountain that fit in my study, anyway.
As you can see above, I only got a few books… oops? In order of the picture above:
- Caraval – Stephanie Garber (OwlCrate past box sale)
- The Last Namsara – Kristen Ciccarelli (Fairy Loot Nov box)
- Who’s Afraid? – Maria Lewis (The Book Crate Aus Nov box)
- The Start of Me and You – Emery Lord (Fanciful Nov box)
- Unearthed – Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner (The YA Chronicles Dec box)
- The Tethered Mage – Melissa Caruso (The Book Crate Aus Dec box)
- Sleep Like a Baby – Charlaine Harris (I ordered that from Book Depository)
- Shadow and Bone / Siege and Storm / Ruin and Rising – Leigh Bardugo (Ordered from Book Depository)
- Renegades – Marissa Meyer (The YA Chronicles Nov box AND Fanciful Dec box – look out for a giveaway soon!)
- Foolish Hearts – Emma Mills (OwlCrate Dec box)
- The Glass Spare – Lauren De Stefano (OwlCrate Nov box)
- Furyborn (ARC in the Fairy Loot Nov box)
- Hardcore 24 – Janet Evanovich (Ordered from Book Depository)
A lot of these I am looking forward to, some I’ve never heard of before but the blurb looks interesting, and others I have no idea when I’m going to get to them. If you WANT to see a review of one in particular, let me know and I’ll push it up the list!
January book boxes and book mail
Now I know that the month is not over yet, and I am still missing my Owl Crate box (ARGH! I’ve seen so many unboxings and I’m so jealous!), but this may be the only chance I get for a few weeks so please bare with me!
Ahhhh… *breathes small sigh of relief* Not so many! Except, I totally know of 3 boxes I’m expecting next week… *cringes in shame* Left to right above:
- The Cruel Prince – Holly Black (The YA Chronicles Jan box – although due to the number of unboxings I have already seen, I know this is coming in the OwlCrate and the Fairy Loot Jan boxes as well… popular book?)
- The Scorpio Races – Maggie Stiefvater (Ordered a signed copy through Fountain Bookstore. If you are a Maggie fan, go get all your books from there – they come signed and made out to you! AND Maggie doodles in some of them too!)
- Heart of Mist – Helen Scheuerer (Bookcase Pozible backer box – their website says October, but my house sitter put it in the January pile, so who knows?!)
- Starborn – Lucy Hounsom (The Book Crate Aus Jan box)
- Ready Player One – Ernest Cline (Ordered from Book Depository)
- Penguin Teen Australia Super-Proof 2018 (The YA Chronicles Jan box)
- Illustrated Harry Potter books 1-3 (Ordered from Book Depository as a Christmas present from the husband)
I’ve never experienced this until the Nov/Dec/Jan boxes, but you can see that we (the subscribers) are starting to get doubles in our boxes which is unfortunate given how many books come out each month. My guess is that the Fanciful Box will have Everless by Sara Holland, but there were so many other books that came out this month!
January book purchases (in person)
I have a massive confession to make here – I bought all of these books on one day. Although to be fair, I attended a book conference so I did buy three of them there (and I got them signed). Then I went to Embiggen in Melbourne and bought three more…! I have been buying up online as well though, so I expect I’ll get more over the next month or so as well.
- Neverwhere (illustrated edition) – Neil Gaiman (Embiggen Books)
- Nevermoor – Jessica Townsend (Embiggen Books)
- American Gods – Neil Gaiman (Embiggen Books)
- Gap Year in Ghost Town – Michael Pryor (YA Day)
- Frankie – Shivaun Plozza (YA Day)
- A #LoveOzYA Anthology – edited by Danielle Binks (YA Day – this has been on my To Buy list for so long!)
As part of The YA Chronicles Nov box, I got a copy of C. S. Pacat’s new comic Fence, issue #1. I need to clarify that I am absolute trash for her Captive Prince trilogy so this was always going to be on my To Buy list anyway. Needless to say I have pre-ordered issues 2-5 through Minotaur in Melbourne, and they come every 4 weeks or so in the mail. And they are awesome!
So there you have it – that’s my January haul! Mostly…