Brownies are one of those magical things that have migrated from the US, along with Coca-Cola, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Hallowe’en. And the best brownies are slightly gooey in the middle… just like these ones!
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (Dutch cocoa powder is the best)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 125g dark chocolate, chopped
Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Grease a 20cm or 9″ slice tin and line with baking paper.
- Mix butter, eggs, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until even consistency – this will be dry.
Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted.
- Pour melted chocolate into batter and mix until just combined.
Pour into slice tin and bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out with moist crumbs clinging.
Set aside to cool.
J R Lynn
Now you’re making me crave brownies ??