Bookending Summer: Bookcation
Good morning bookworms!
This post is part of Bookending Summer 2019, which is organized by Sam & Clo! My prompt for today, “Bookcation” is hosted by Charvi @ Not Just Fiction! (And you SHOULD go check out Charvi’s blogs because I feel like maybe I don’t scream about that enough every fortnight when I do Off Tangent Thoughts…)
If you aren’t sure what a ‘bookcation’ is, then I’ll let Charvi explain it here:
You’re off to the beach for a nice time and you can take 10 other fictional characters with you. Whom would you choose and why?
Ok, so I’m taking a group of TEN friends to the beach with me… who would I take?
- Hermione (Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling) – ok, not the obvious choice, but hear me out. Hermione is super organised. She would be the one to make sure that a) we all pack what we need to take, and b) to pack spares of everything ‘just in case’. She’d be the perfect mother-hen to nag at us to reapply sunscreen every 4 hours (you really need to be diligent in Australia) AND she could take everything in her tiny magical shoulder bag so you don’t even need to carry anything! Plus, it’s always good to have a witch around.
- Jax (The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding) – Jax is kind of a bro, but underneath it all he’s a soft marshmallow. However, the reason he gets invited is because he would absolutely know the nearest and best burger places to go near the beach. Jax is on snacks.
- Alina (Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – I am currently reading Siege and Storm so no spoilers on Alina please!) – Alina is coming across as kind of a wet-blanket, buuuuuut, what do you need at the beach? Sunshine. What can Alina summon? Pretty sure it’s sunlight. So, if it’s a sad-looking day, can we just make Alina stand somewhere over there and summon us some amazing weather?
- Janco (The Chronicles of Ixia by Maria V. Snyder) – of the Ari and Janco duo, Janco is the fun one. He would absolutely be making sure that people are having fun. He’d be making up games and pulling pranks and getting into mischief. Plus he would help Jax find food!
- Ronan Lynch (The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater) – I mean, he IS my book boyfriend… Also, he’s the Greywaren, so if Hermione did manage to forget anything, or we all of a sudden decided we needed something else (say, for all those games Janco will invent), then Ronan is our guy!
- Cassian (A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas) – to be honest, Janco needs a partner in crime, and there would be no one better than Cassian. Also, sometimes you need a bit of eye-candy on the beach, and there’s no better eye candy than the Illyrian boys.
- Nesta (A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas) – unpopular opinion, I really like Nesta. She tells it like it is, and I don’t want anyone pussy-footing around when it comes to telling me if my bathing suit looks crap. Also, watching her verbally spar with Cassian would be hilarious, so there’s an entertainment factor there too.
- Sean Kendrick (The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater) – SAFETY FIRST, ok guys? Sean is a necessary for all trips to the beach, because (as we are mixing a lot of worlds here) we need to be sure that if any capaill uisce do descend on our little holiday, then Sean will be there to help reign them in.
- Magnus Bane (The Shadowhunter world by Cassandra Clare) – I mean, surely Magnus of all people doesn’t really need any reason to be dragged along. If anything, I feel like he would be dragging us there. Always up for some fun, he would keep Cassian and Janco entertained, and watching him flirt with Ronan would be highly entertaining.
- Last place is always so tough to decide. I think I want a friend to sit on the beach with and gossip when the boys get too unruly and/or annoying, but I also wanted someone that I could just sit quietly with, and who would have amazing book recommendations that we could just swap back and forth. I had some options, but none of them are quite right (Mia smokes, Feyre would pine over Rhys, Aelin would be too chatty, Felicity wouldn’t be chatty enough, Jude would just be plotting something), so, I’ve decided to take YOU. You’re welcome. Pack your bags (Hermione will send you an itemised list and a full itinerary), and we’ll see you soon!
So, that’s it from me today! A reminder to go check
out Bookending Summer and all the prompts for this month!
Who would you take to the beach?
Hahaha I get to go to the beach with all of these people? Sign me up! 🙂 Love your explanations for these! I especially agree with Hermione and Ronan
Everyone can come!!! Hermione would be so practical on basically any adventure anywhere!!
lol, your reasons for taking these characters are so practical. I approve. Hahaha. Especially Alina and Hermione. 🙂 🙂
??? I do need to finish the Grishaverse, but I feel like Alina could definitely earn her keep on a beach!!
haha. True. 🙂
YESSS, MAGNUS BANE IS THE BEST FREAKING CHOICE!
Also yeah I would just like to talk to Hermione and let her be the mother hen while I have fun XD
Thanks Charvi!!! I would honestly take Magnus anywhere!! ?
Isabelle @ BookwyrmBites
I love the reasoning behind all of these, especially the last one! and since I haven’t been to the beach yet this summer, I would definitely take you up on that invitation ?
generally I tend to be the Hermione friend (I actually literally carry a first-aid kit in my backpack everyday, along with a lot of other stuff that weighs way too much but occasionally comes in handy), so I would certainly be happy to hand off the responsibility, haha.
OMG, you’re basically Penny in Emergency Contact!! (Also, I mean that with all of the love and respect because Penny is the greatest.) ?
Beware Of The Reader
How so Ronan is your book boyfriend? LOL I think that I really do need to give this series a go!
He’s my “dream” book boyfriend. Because in my dream he likes me more than he likes Adam. ?
yesss, Alina is the perfect person to bring to a sad beach day!!