Good morning bookworms!
This post is part of Bookending Summer 2019, which is organized by Sam & Clo! My prompt for today, “Bookcation” is hosted by Charvi @ Not Just Fiction! (And you SHOULD go check out Charvi’s blogs because I feel like maybe I don’t scream about that enough every fortnight when I do Off Tangent Thoughts…)
If you aren’t sure what a ‘bookcation’ is, then I’ll let Charvi explain it here:
You’re off to the beach for a nice time and you can take 10 other fictional characters with you. Whom would you choose and why?
Ok, so I’m taking a group of TEN friends to the beach with me… who would I take?
- Hermione (Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling) – ok, not the obvious choice, but hear me out. Hermione is super organised. She would be the one to make sure that a) we all pack what we need to take, and b) to pack spares of everything ‘just in case’. She’d be the perfect mother-hen to nag at us to reapply sunscreen every 4 hours (you really need to be diligent in Australia) AND she could take everything in her tiny magical shoulder bag so you don’t even need to carry anything! Plus, it’s always good to have a witch around.
- Jax (The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spalding) – Jax is kind of a bro, but underneath it all he’s a soft marshmallow. However, the reason he gets invited is because he would absolutely know the nearest and best burger places to go near the beach. Jax is on snacks.
- Alina (Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – I am currently reading Siege and Storm so no spoilers on Alina please!) – Alina is coming across as kind of a wet-blanket, buuuuuut, what do you need at the beach? Sunshine. What can Alina summon? Pretty sure it’s sunlight. So, if it’s a sad-looking day, can we just make Alina stand somewhere over there and summon us some amazing weather?
- Janco (The Chronicles of Ixia by Maria V. Snyder) – of the Ari and Janco duo, Janco is the fun one. He would absolutely be making sure that people are having fun. He’d be making up games and pulling pranks and getting into mischief. Plus he would help Jax find food!
- Ronan Lynch (The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater) – I mean, he IS my book boyfriend… Also, he’s the Greywaren, so if Hermione did manage to forget anything, or we all of a sudden decided we needed something else (say, for all those games Janco will invent), then Ronan is our guy!
- Cassian (A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas) – to be honest, Janco needs a partner in crime, and there would be no one better than Cassian. Also, sometimes you need a bit of eye-candy on the beach, and there’s no better eye candy than the Illyrian boys.
- Nesta (A Court of Thorns and Roses series by Sarah J Maas) – unpopular opinion, I really like Nesta. She tells it like it is, and I don’t want anyone pussy-footing around when it comes to telling me if my bathing suit looks crap. Also, watching her verbally spar with Cassian would be hilarious, so there’s an entertainment factor there too.
- Sean Kendrick (The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater) – SAFETY FIRST, ok guys? Sean is a necessary for all trips to the beach, because (as we are mixing a lot of worlds here) we need to be sure that if any capaill uisce do descend on our little holiday, then Sean will be there to help reign them in.
- Magnus Bane (The Shadowhunter world by Cassandra Clare) – I mean, surely Magnus of all people doesn’t really need any reason to be dragged along. If anything, I feel like he would be dragging us there. Always up for some fun, he would keep Cassian and Janco entertained, and watching him flirt with Ronan would be highly entertaining.
- Last place is always so tough to decide. I think I want a friend to sit on the beach with and gossip when the boys get too unruly and/or annoying, but I also wanted someone that I could just sit quietly with, and who would have amazing book recommendations that we could just swap back and forth. I had some options, but none of them are quite right (Mia smokes, Feyre would pine over Rhys, Aelin would be too chatty, Felicity wouldn’t be chatty enough, Jude would just be plotting something), so, I’ve decided to take YOU. You’re welcome. Pack your bags (Hermione will send you an itemised list and a full itinerary), and we’ll see you soon!
So, that’s it from me today! A reminder to go check
out Bookending Summer and all the prompts for this month!
Who would you take to the beach?