There is absolutely nothing better in autumn than home made carrot cake, made with the carrots you’ve pulled out of your garden. Autumn is the season I associate with apples, carrots, pumpkin and falling leaves – this is mostly because I always forget to plant my carrots until mid-end of spring!
The cake itself is dairy-free and nut-free, but if you would like to add Cream Cheese Frosting or walnuts, then you absolutely have that option (I like both!).
- 1.5 cups self-raising flour
- 1.25 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cups finely grated carrot
- 3/4 cups chopped walnuts (OPTIONAL)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced), and grease a 6cm/2″ deep, 22cm/9″ round cake tin.
- Mix eggs, oil and brown sugar together in a large bowl.
- Sift flour, bi-carb soda and cinnamon together, then add to the large bowl.
- Add salt and then beat until you have an even consistency.
- Add carrot (and optional nuts) and then stir through.
- Pour into cake tin and bake for 50 minutes.
- Only share with your loved ones, or serve at a tea party if you wish to impress.
NOTE: This also works well in cupcake form, but only bake for 25-30 minutes.